Used them all…. 

I have more than a few different sets of watercolors. At current count, I have set of Sennelier, White Knights, Jane Davenport neutral palette and her Mermaid Markers (watercolor markers) and a few Windsor and Newton Colman half pans (not a full set just about a half dozen colors). 

Generally I use one set at a time when I am doing a project… until yesterday. I sat down to do Lindsay Weirich’s owl tutorial. Before I started I read the list of colors she was using and realized, not one of my sets had all the colors. Hmm okay not a problem. So I pulled out several from my Sennelier set, a couple from my White Knights and one of the WN Cotmans. 

Problem solved, owl painted. It turned out pretty good. Then this morning I was looking at it again (paintings always look better the next morning after the magic painting fairy stops by and waves her magic paintbrush over it) and wondered how it would look if I used my Jane Davenport’s supplies. 

Hmm… It took a little tweaking, because my JD sets didn’t exactly have the rights colors, but they are highly pigmented and nice and bright. Which I decided would go well with the style of this tutorial. 

And that is how I ended up with two owl paintings and managed to use everyone of my sets of paint.  ðŸ™‚  I will be giving these to my mom who loves owls… 

Hey mom, I have some new owls for you!  ðŸ™‚ 

First one I painted, only 5 colors used. 

Second one painted with Jane’s paints. 


 


More artsy fun…. 

Obviously posting regularly is not my strong suit, but I do occasionally remember to post things…. Sometimes 🙂 okay maybe not, I am generally playing with my paints and whatnot and then wander off to read a book. 

Most of this was done with my new Mermaid markers (they are filled with water reactive ink, they behave some what like watercolors and are tons of fun.) 

I also used some of Jane Davenport’s face stamps and some watercolor  and maybe a few other things I can’t recall at the moment. 

Anyhow, this is what I spent the last few days doing. 


Trust the mess

​My poor butterfly journal cover got painted twice today. In fact there is so much paint and gesso on it that it is probably indestructible at this point. Which is quite possibly a good thing all said and done.  ðŸ™‚ 

So this morning, I was all excited to try the whole mixed media thing. It started out looking good… went to the “hot mess” stage… I kept repeating trust the mess… trust the mess… Took it way too far. 

Nope… Ain’t happening, time to start over. Gesso-ed over the whole thing to give it another go and left it to dry. 

Now I had always intended to do 2 butterfly journals, one for icky adult things like to dos, budget, appointments etc and one for my inner artist who has no appreciation for adult things that eat into her artsy time. So I figured no problem, this one is obviously my bill journal. 

Deciding that must have knocked something loose in my mind or took the imagined pressure off, because I sat down with my Mermaid markers and just went with it. I trusted the mess this time and was just having fun. 

Funny part… about half way through my inner artist perked up and took notice of what was going on and decided she might want this version after all. Lol 🙂

Guess I will make final decisions after I finish the other one.


There’s fine art and then there is fun art

Today was all about having fun with my new Mermaid markers. I did some swatches first. Then a happy accident with the scrap paper I was using to catch and wipe the overflow when you first squeeze the barrel. I sprayed water on it and the color exploded across the paper. I laughed and giggled, it tickled me so much I grabbed another scrap and did it again on purpose. Then had too much water on them so grabbed a paper towel and blotted. 

LOL, then looked at the paper towel and decided it needed to be sprayed too. 

Next up was a fun loose flower that made me happy just watching the color flow around. Life doesn’t get any funner than this…. Welcome to my world. 🙂 


A few more paintings… 

Yesterday I did two, I must have been feeling ambitious. 🙂 

I did the first lesson, flower girl, from Jane Davenport’s free mixed media workshop. And then I attempted the bamboo tutorial from Lindsay Weirich. 

The flower girl turned out pretty good, the bamboo, not so much. I did what she said. Okay I thought I did what she said, but obviously not, because my bamboo, doesn’t look very bamboo-ish. 

Then tonight I just finished another tutorial for Lindsay of a sweet little bird. I really like how he turned out. He looks all sweet and innocent, but I’m not fooled, I think he is up to something. 🙂 

So here they are.