Rainer Selvet has posted a great tutorial on how to use the Fracture Tools add-on. He has a video, blend file and even a pdf file for your learning convenience.
This tutorial covers:
- the basics of shattering up an object
- adding physics to all of the objects simultaneously
- “freezing” the objects so that they don’t fall over
- shattering objects only when there is a collision
- adding different materials to inside and outside of the pieces
- recording game engine physics for animation
- quick tip regarding speeding up the animation
Which pretty much guarantees that you will be exploding and blowing up all your models in no time at all.