I recently got a new set of watercolors. Now I have both the neutral and brights set of Jane Davenport’s paints. And I have been a busy little girl playing and experimenting with them.
Granted nothing earth shattering has been painted yet, but I have been having a ball exploring how the paints react and the seriously pigmented colors. Too much fun.
Here are a couple that I have done today. They are just practice pieces that were inspired by images I saw on Pinterest. The Brights palette has such pretty reds in it. Sigh, I love red.
I am so very over winter and eagerly waiting for Spring. I painted this little guy yesterday before the Super Bowl, hoping to give Mother Nature a nudge.
He was supposed to be fluffier, but fluffy is kind of hard to pull off with watercolor. Still he is a cute little guy. And maybe, just maybe he will bring Spring sooner.
Or at least a smile.
I watched a great tutorial today from Jane Davenport’s free mixed media workshop where she was draw/painting a lovely Mermaid.
I didn’t have time to do the tutorial, which bummed me out, but sometimes you have to do the adult things.
Then while hubby was making dinner I realized I had a bit of time so I thought I would just do a bit of Mermaid doodling.
LOL, one thing led to another… a bit of watercolor here, markers there and I ended up with a lovely little Mermaid of my own. 🙂
I have more than a few different sets of watercolors. At current count, I have set of Sennelier, White Knights, Jane Davenport neutral palette and her Mermaid Markers (watercolor markers) and a few Windsor and Newton Colman half pans (not a full set just about a half dozen colors).
Generally I use one set at a time when I am doing a project… until yesterday. I sat down to do Lindsay Weirich’s owl tutorial. Before I started I read the list of colors she was using and realized, not one of my sets had all the colors. Hmm okay not a problem. So I pulled out several from my Sennelier set, a couple from my White Knights and one of the WN Cotmans.
Problem solved, owl painted. It turned out pretty good. Then this morning I was looking at it again (paintings always look better the next morning after the magic painting fairy stops by and waves her magic paintbrush over it) and wondered how it would look if I used my Jane Davenport’s supplies.
Hmm… It took a little tweaking, because my JD sets didn’t exactly have the rights colors, but they are highly pigmented and nice and bright. Which I decided would go well with the style of this tutorial.
And that is how I ended up with two owl paintings and managed to use everyone of my sets of paint. 🙂 I will be giving these to my mom who loves owls…
Hey mom, I have some new owls for you! 🙂
First one I painted, only 5 colors used.
Second one painted with Jane’s paints.
Obviously posting regularly is not my strong suit, but I do occasionally remember to post things…. Sometimes 🙂 okay maybe not, I am generally playing with my paints and whatnot and then wander off to read a book.
Most of this was done with my new Mermaid markers (they are filled with water reactive ink, they behave some what like watercolors and are tons of fun.)
I also used some of Jane Davenport’s face stamps and some watercolor and maybe a few other things I can’t recall at the moment.
Anyhow, this is what I spent the last few days doing.